Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stitching, Patch, and Pie

Today was extra special.  First of all, it is Pi Day, 3.14 of the year 2015.  So it deserves a little celebration.  Secondly, it is a Saturday, which is just simply a holiday perfectly built into every week.  And thirdly, it was a girl time day, because I had planned to spend the day with my friend Jenny.  Now I love a romantic weekend with Austin all alone, and I love company and always love traveling.  But it is very infrequent and extra special to spend a day with such a sweet friend.

We kicked it off right, with mimosas and brunch at the Shelter off of Coleman Boulevard.  It was a true spring day, cool enough for a light sweater and jeans and bright enough for shades.  We perched on heavy duty wooden high chairs at a high top table and basked in feminine conversation.

Then, to business.  I need curtains in my kitchen / eating area / sun room to break some of the day's most direct light, and Jenny is very crafty.  She also got a new sewing machine for Christmas.  So after planning from Pinterest posts on how to measure for, cut, and create curtains, we chose some fabric from Hobby Lobby and got to work.  Who knew how much math it takes to decide just how many inches you need to get the finished dimensions, and then to convert them to yards!  Lucky for both of us that the internet can at least convert for you.

The finished product (one of 2 panels)  is now hanging in the kitchen.  I'm pleased.  And a tiny bit proud, although I will quickly admit that Jenny was the only one to work the sewing machine.  I was intimidated by all the bobbins and pedals and inner workings of what seems to me a very complex contraption.  Maybe I'll be brave enough to attempt its operation for the second panel, or next weekend when we are planning to make ourselves some spring scarves.

But those scarves will wait, because we had had enough measuring and pinning for one day.  How better to end Pi Day than with pizza pie?  And with Patch Adams?  Which I had never seen and wholly enjoyed.

We decided over mimosas and re-confirmed the decision at the end of the day that Girl Day should happen at least once a month.  If we are true to this decision, I just might learn to be as crafty and capable as Jenny one day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment